Call Now Button
What is the CELPIP
- What is the CELPIP? – Choice Route Institute
What is the CELPIP? – Choice Route Institute
The Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) is a general English language proficiency test.
The CELPIP Test allows test takers to demonstrate their ability to function in English. The test clearly, accurately, and precisely assesses a test taker’s English abilities in a variety of everyday situations, such as communicating with co-workers and superiors in the workplace, interacting with friends, understanding
newscasts, and interpreting and responding to written materials.
- The listening test is about 50 minutes long and has 6 parts.
- In each part there is a 1 to 3 minute long conversation. Conversation may also be a video.
- Each conversation is followed by 3 to 8 questions.
- Questions cannot be seen while the audio is played, so it is important to take notes.
- 30 seconds are given to answer each question.
- Question types are mainly MCQs and fill in the blanks.
- For MCQs the questions are also played in audio form with choices displayed on the screen.
- For fill in the blanks sentences are displayed on the screen. The answers for fill ups are supposed to be selected from choices given in drop down menus.
- For video based conversations it is important to see the video carefully along with listening because questions can be like – What did the person wearing denims think about hiring new people?
- The reading test is about 40 minutes long and has 4 parts.
- Text and questions are displayed simultaneously.
- 10 minutes are available to read the text and answer questions for each part. Depending on the length of the task number of questions per task can vary from 1 to 10.
- Instead of texts there can also be picture based tasks.
Question types are mainly MCQs and fill ups just like the questions in the listening test.
- The writing test has 2 tasks.
- Task 1 is similar to task 1 of General IELTS. That is letter/email writing for the given scenario. But the word count must be 150 to 200 words. 27 minutes are given to complete task1. After completing task 1 the candidate can go to task2.
- If task 1 is not completed within 27 minutes, then after 27 minutes the screen will automatically switch to task 2. Writing Task 2 is also similar to IELTS task 2. That is 150 to 200 words long essay writing. The maximum time available for task 2 is 26 minutes.
- Speaking test is about 25 minutes long.
- There are 8 tasks. 30 seconds preparation time is given for each. The preparation time starts as soon as the topic appears on the screen. After 30 seconds you are prompted to start speaking. Speaking time for each task is 1 minute. After the time is over the next task automatically appears on the screen.
- Speaking topics are similar to IELTS speaking topics.
GENERAL – IELTS General Training is also divided into four sections
Key points about the test
- Time saved in any of the modules/questions is not carried forward to the next task.
- After the time allotted for each question is over the test will automatically move to the next task.
- Notes taking skill is important in the listening section because questions cannot be seen when the audio is played and questions are also based on videos, it is important to observe things like clothing, furniture, ambience etc. of the video conversation.
- Reading tasks can be completely picture based.
- The minimum word count for both the writing tasks is 150 to 200 words.
- Speaking is like doing 8 cue card topics one after the other, there are no follow up questions.
error: Content is protected !!